corner graphic

Bible Encyclopedias

1911 Encyclopedia Britannica


Resource Toolbox
Additional Links

A general term for a disorderly crowd, apparently connected with the verb "to rabble," to talk or work in a confused manner, Du. rabbelen, Ger. dialect rabbeln, cf. Gr. pa/3aovECv, to howl. In iron and steel manufacture, a puddlingtool, for stirring the molten metal, is called a "rabble." This is a different word, adapted from Fr. rdble, for roable, Med. Lat. rotabulwm, Lat. rutabulum (ruere, to rake), a fire-shovel or oven rake.

Copyright Statement
These files are public domain.

Bibliography Information
Chisholm, Hugh, General Editor. Entry for 'Rabble'. 1911 Encyclopedia Britanica. 1910.

Search for…
Enter query in the box:
Choose a letter to browse:
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M 
N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z 

Prev Entry
Next Entry
Rabindranath Tagore
To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient contact form
Powered by Lightspeed Technology